Friday, June 15, 2012

Sweet Strawberry Omelet

Oregon Strawberries are at their peak.

This recipe was submitted to the Immanuel Lutheran Church Cookbook in 1984 and it's delightful, and fairly healthy. The eggs take on an airy lightness and custard-like quality. It won't take the place of shortcake in my heart, but it's better for me. I have made a few modifications -- which I will note, and have added to the directions based on my experience.

If you make this, or have something similar and can add to the directions, I would love to hear from you!

Sweet Strawberry Omelet

You need a 10" oven proof skillet. Turns out, my skillet is only 9.5" (you measure across the top), but I am glad it was not too shallow, as you can see by the photos.

4 eggs, separated, each in mixing bowls (larger one for the egg whites)
2 tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. plain yogurt (we like Nancy's)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. butter

Topping
about 1/3 C. plain yogurt -- depending on how much you would like to use
preferred sweetener (to taste) I used a little honey - (never give honey to infants!)
(cookbook called for 1/4 c. yogurt and 1/4 c.frozen whipped topping -- which I chose not to use, plus a little milk & sugar)

2 C. washed and sliced fresh strawberries
nutmeg (optional)

Assemble:
It filled the pan completely!
  • Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Beat egg whites till frothy. Add 2 tbsp. water and 1/4 tsp. salt. Beat to stiff peaks.
  • Beat egg yolks till thick and lemon-colored; beat in 1/4 C yogurt and 2 tbsp. sugar.
  • Fold yolks into whites. (I allowed some lumpiness)
 Cook:
  • Melt butter in 10 inch ovenproof skillet; heat until a drop of water sizzles.
    (I had it at "9-10" on my stove top -- but this was too hot, as it scorched a little -  make sure the butter covers the pan before adding the eggs)
  • Pour in eggs; spread to edges.
  • REDUCE HEAT (I took it down to "3"; the directions did not specify a temperature)
  • After baking in the oven
  • Cook 8 minutes.
 Bake:
  • Finish cooking in oven at 325 till knife comes out clean, 10-12 minutes (test in middle) 
  • Loosen omelet and slide onto a warm platter.


Topping:
  • Combine yogurt with preferred sweetener, and spoon lightly over the top.
  • Top with sliced strawberries.
  • I chose to add a dusting of nutmeg to my own serving.
Husband reaction: It's not guy food.
Foodie Daughter: I like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment