Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Zucchini Smoothie

I drank a zucchini and it was delicious.

It stands to reason; Raw zucchini has practically no flavor of its own, so why wouldn't it work in fruit smoothies?

I've long been a fan of putting large portions of baby spinach or deep green kale in my smoothies, and have won over many skeptics.

The zucchini actually added a thick and creamy element that I enjoyed.

Here is my basic template for smoothies:
  • About 2-3 cups fresh fruit (or partially thawed frozen) cut into chunks if needed (see list below)
  • About 1-3 cups zucchini, remove core and seeds, cut in chunks, leave peel on if tender -- OR About 1-3 cups baby spinach or other favorite raw greens that have a mild flavor
Puree this in the blender, then add:
  • About 1-3 cups frozen fruit (I partially thaw it if I'm using mostly frozen fruit)
I often add:
  • A scoop of plain yogurt, preferably Greek (about 1/3 cup)
  • TB wheat germ
  • One medium zucchini + fruit
    = 6 1/2 cups
  • TB ground flax seed 
If the blender is struggling because it is too thick, I add:
  • fruit juice or water
Do a taste test. Not sweet enough? I add a little orange juice concentrate or fruit preserves. Too bland? Try just a little frozen lemonade or lime juice or something else with a citric acid kick!

In this batch I used:
  • One medium zucchini (about 1 pound) some peel removed, core and seeds removed
  • One peach, peeled and pit removed
  • One apricot with skin, pit removed
  • Fresh blueberries 1-2 cups
  • One frozen banana (no peel of course!)
  • 12 whole frozen strawberries
  • 1 TB apricot preserves




No comments:

Post a Comment