Thursday, June 4, 2015

Brilliant Penstemon

Every spring I get unreasonably excited when the Penstemon starts to bloom.
I believe the variety I own is "Electric Blue"

I bought one gallon from a local backyard nursery many years ago, and this plant has earned a top spot in my "Favorite Perennials" list for these qualities:
  • Long lasting blooming season in spring (with some repeat blooms throughout the summer)
  • Drought hardy
  • Cold hardy 
  • Dividable *
  • Gorgeous blossoms
  • Attracts bees, butterflies and humming birds
  • Evergreen - does not go dormant in winter
  • Lovely cut flower
  • Not invasive
  • Easy to grow
* To divide this plant, I purposefully buried some of the stems in dirt to encourage root growth, and once established I dug up my start. Here is the original plant.

Here is the one I grew by division, just a couple years later! (I think it's happy)
Early in bloom season
Drawbacks:
  • Foliage for this variety is OK, but not exceptional. I cut mine back after blooming and usually place annuals in the bare space. Cutting it back encourages more bloom.
  • Stems are weak, so the plant becomes rangy. Another reason to cut it back after blooming. 
Later in bloom season, heavy blossoms & rain have collapsed the stems.
 Just more pictures. 








No comments:

Post a Comment