Here's today's project.
1. An antique woodstove sits by my front door. The begonias gone, I started by arranging various greens (evergreens and Bay Laurel) and some hydrangeas.
The hydrangeas won't last too long. I will probably replace them by Christmas.
Silver Nettle grows out of the pitcher.
2. The Heuchera coming out the top of the stove is getting leggy. I filled in with sprigs of Santolina -- jammed into the pot, they may even take root!
3. Cottoneaster added to the pot to partially cover the rusty stovepipe. I discovered the stems were easy to bend into shape.
4. Sword Ferns for a little drama. Almost done.
5. (below) A few rose hips was just what it needed.
I put a plastic salad container in a wooden box to hold water for the next arrangement. Evergreens will last a long time in the cool temperatures even without water.
Step one, something big to help hold things together, then add some Santolina & Russian Sage...
Weeping spruce and red twigs, Variegated evergreen broadleaf.
This might take root also!
Finally, Cedar Berries and some Bay Laurel.
Not bad for free.